A Virginia lateral officer is someone that is a Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services certified law enforcement officer. The lateral officer must be currently employed as a law enforcement officer in Virginia or must have been employed as a law enforcement officer in Virginia within the past three years. Lateral officers may be exempt from taking the police entrance exam. Please contact your recruiter for further information.
Although current law enforcement officers from any state might be exempt from the ACPD entrance exam, lateral officers from outside of Virginia must attend the Northern Virginia Criminal Justice Training Academy along with entry level officers.
Lateral officers may be eligible for a higher pay grade and leave accrual rate upon hire; this is reviewed on a case-by-case basis and is commensurate with experience. All lateral officers must pass the one-year date of hire probationary period.
Kind of Work
This is law enforcement work in which the employee is responsible for protection of life and property in Arlington County. Duties include:
- Patrolling an assigned area on foot, bicycle, motorcycle or in a car to detect or prevent crime
- Conducting investigations into a variety of criminal offenses such as larceny, auto theft, and robbery
- Assisting in investigation of major crimes such as rape and homicide
- Directing vehicular and pedestrian traffic
- Preparing written reports on offenses committed, arrests, and other activities
- Testifying in court proceedings
- Other related duties as required
Work is performed in accordance with departmental rules and regulations and involves an element of personal danger. Employees must be able to exercise considerable independent judgement at all times.
Wages and Benefits
- Paid overtime at a rate of time and one-half
- Bilingual pay
- Value added pay for department recognized certifications
- Two health plans to choose from at low rates
- Yearly salary increase based upon performance
- Eligible for promotion to supervisory level after four years
- Fixed shift with rotating days off scheduled for uniformed patrol
- Uniforms and equipment are furnished by the department
- Take home cars for patrol officers that live in Arlington County (availability dependent)
- Tuition reimbursement
- Education leave
- 25 year retirement — no age limit
- County pays a percentage of health insurance premium for retirees with 25 years of service
- Deferred Retirement Option Plan (DROP)
- Credit Union Membership