This position is located in the Human Resources Management Section; recruitment and applicant processing. The purpose of the Background Investigations & Recruiting Intern is to provide direct assistance to the detectives in the Unit in processing and investigating potential police applicants. The intern would also have an opportunity to assist the HR sergeant with developing digital marketing and advertisement strategies targeting universities, colleges and military institutions. Nationally law enforcement agencies are adjusting to rapidly changing recruiting trends and challenges.
Specific duties include:
- Interns will be directly involved in the background investigations process including interviewing references, assisting in the completion of required testing phases, database and internet investigations, data entry and all other phases of processing
- Interns will be provided with orientation and guidance on how to conduct these investigations and work on each case with the assigned detective
- This internship will acquaint the student with the investigative process in a law enforcement agency
- Interns will conduct interviews, document statements and provide input to the detectives on disposition of applicant investigations
- Interns will help with developing digital marketing and advertisement strategies and deliverables for targeting universities, colleges and military institutions.
- Interns will have the opportunity to deploy creative digital marketing and advertisement. They will use data to determine the effectiveness of marketing and advertisement in these targeted markets.
Interns accepted for this assignment will complete the process with true investigative and recruitment experience.
Program Type & Division
Systems Management Division: Internship – Non-pay status
One semester (minimum)
Upper-class Undergraduate Student
Forensics Sciences or Law Enforcement related program
Preferred GPA: 3.0 or above
Application, Interview, Favorable Completion of Police Polygraph Exam and Background Investigation
Currently accepting applications
Minimum 20 hours per week (Monday-Friday during normal business hours), Flexible schedule options
Location and Contact
Arlington County Police Department
Sergeant Matt Lafley, #1025
Human Resources Management Section – Personnel and Recruitment
How to apply
Please submit a cover letter and personal history statement (found under the “Employment Forms” tab above) as well as a copy of your transcripts to Sgt. Matt Lafley at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 703-228-4412