Internships with the Arlington County Police Department are designed to give students an opportunity to learn from professionals through real world experience. Each of the internships offered are in different designated and specialized departments, which allows students to gain knowledge within their desired field. A list of Arlington County Police Department internship opportunities are below:
This position is located in the Criminal Investigations Division: Homicide/Robbery Unit. The purpose of the Investigative Assistant Intern is to provide direct assistance to the detectives in the Homicide/Robbery Unit, Burglary/Larceny Unit, Special Victims Unit and the General Assignment Unit.
Interns will be directly involved interviewing victims and witnesses in a variety of cases such as assaults, threats, missing persons, domestic assaults, larcenies and other property crimes. The intern will be provided with orientation and guidance on how to conduct these interviews and work on each case with the assigned detective. This internship will acquaint the student with the investigative process by actually being a part of the investigations. Interns will conduct interviews, document statements and provide input to the detectives on disposition of cases. The intern’s work may lead to identifying suspects to be prosecuted.
Interns accepted for this assignment will complete the process with true investigative experience. The intern will develop strategies and make recommendations to the Detective and the intern will work closely with the Detectives throughout the investigative process. The Detectives will involve the intern in all phases of the investigation and treat them as colleagues.
Media Relations & Public Affairs Office Intern
**Position currently filled**
This internship will give the student an opportunity to assist with the various external and internal communications functions performed by the Media Relations and Public Affairs Office. He or she will gain valuable practical experience in a nationally recognized law enforcement agency.
Specific duties include:
• Responding to queries from the news media, civic groups, and the general public regarding arrests, police investigations, or criminal activities
• Providing interviews for broadcast and print media or scheduling interviews with department representatives
• Responding to the scene of major police events and providing information to media
• Initiating release of and disseminating information to media regarding Police Department activities
• Proactively promoting Police Department activities, programs, and efforts
• Coordinating media efforts with other county agencies such as the Public Affairs Office
• Developing maintaining and interacting with the public through Social Media outlets
• Assisting in various PIO special projects
Background Investigations Internship
This position is located in the Human Resources Management Section; applicant processing. The purpose of the Background Investigations Intern is to provide direct assistance to the detectives in the Unit in processing and investigating potential police applicants.
Specific duties include:
• Interns will be directly involved in the background investigations process including interviewing references, assisting in the completion of required testing phases, database and internet investigations, data entry and all other phases of processing
• Interns will be provided with orientation and guidance on how to conduct these investigations and work on each case with the assigned detective
• This internship will acquaint the student with the investigative process in a law enforcement agency
• Interns will conduct interviews, document statements and provide input to the detectives on disposition of applicant investigations
Interns accepted for this assignment will complete the process with true investigative experience. The intern will develop strategies and make recommendations to the detective throughout the investigative process. The detectives will involve the intern in all phases of the investigation.
GIS/Crime Analysis Internship
This unpaid intern will have the opportunity to assist with the various crime analysis functions performed by the Crime Analysis Unit, providing direct assistance to the GIS Crime Analyst. The intern will receive geographic information systems (GIS) and crime analysis experience while under the supervision and guidance of the personnel in the Crime Analysis Unit. Through this experience the will gain valuable knowledge and practical experience in a nationally recognized law enforcement agency.
Specific anticipated duties include:
•Gathering and analyzing local and multi-jurisdictional crime data
•Extracting data such as arrests, accidents, and case history from numerous sources, including the Police Records Management System (RMS)
•Using ArcGIS to geocode data and plot areas of criminal activity, accidents and incidents, and calls for service
•Analyzing collected data to detect patterns, suspects, and trends, often using complex statistical analysis
•Using crime data and knowledge of police programs and patrol activities to identify opportunities for proactive law enforcement
•Assisting in various crime analysis special projects.