Unsolved Cases

The Arlington County Police Department (ACPD) seeks the public’s help in finding those responsible for these cold-case crimes. Although some of these cases are more than 30 years old, detectives still hope each case will someday be solved, and the victims’ families will have some closure. If you have information about any of these cases, call the ACPD Tip Line at 703-228-4242 or Crime Solvers at 866-411-8477.


Paul Matthew Zeller

Paul Zeller, a 24-year-old Iraq war veteran, was murdered on June 30, 2006, while walking near the Pentagon Row shopping center.  Detectives say Mr. Zeller was on his way home from work.  He exited the Pentagon City Metro Station shortly before midnight, stopped at a grocery store, and then continued on foot toward his home in the Aurora Highlands neighborhood. He was walking on a sidewalk in the 1300 block of S. Joyce Street when he was shot. The first 911 calls were received at approximately 12:06 a.m. Any new information, no matter how insignificant it may seem, could help detectives solve this case and bring the victim's family some closure. There is a reward of up to $10,000.

David Butler

In the early morning hours of Saturday, July 15, 2000, officers responded to the 1800 block of Wilson Boulevard. in Rosslyn for a report of loud voices. When officers arrived, they discovered the body of David L. Butler in the parking lot of a car dealership. He was found just two blocks away from his apartment in the Colonial Village neighborhood.

Ronald Haynes

Ronald Haynes was just 17 when he was slain on January 14, 1999. That night, Haynes and two of his friends got in a physical confrontation with three Hispanic males at the Glebe Market. The two groups ran into each other again later in the evening and without warning, two of the Hispanic males opened fire on Ronald Haynes and his friends. Haynes was shot and later died at George Washington University Hospital.

Andrea Cincotta

On August 21, 1998, 52-year-old Andrea Cincotta was found dead at the 1700 block of N. Rhodes Street Andrea’s boyfriend found her dead inside the closet of their bedroom. There was no forced entry to the home and no obvious signs of a struggle.

Vu Huynh

Vu Huynh was murdered on March 23, 1997. He was shot to death in the parking lot of Hi Cue Billiards on S. George Mason Drive. The suspect in the shooting is described as an Asian male dressed in all black, and he may be a member of the Laos Bloods (LB) or Dragon Fly (DF) gang. The firearm used in the murder was identified as a Smith and Wesson Model 67, a 38 Special double-action revolver.

Arnett Bartlett

Thirty-eight-year-old Arnett Bartlett was last seen alive on the evening of July 13, 1994. He was found dead five days later with multiple stab wounds to his neck and shoulder area.

Sanford Swift

On June 11, 1992, Sanford Swift was stabbed in the back room of the Roy Rogers restaurant located in the 5200 block of Lee Highway. The entire restaurant was neat and orderly except for the office, which was where the receipts for the night were counted — the money was missing.

Sandra Carrera

On the evening of January 15, 1991, Sandra Carrera was found dead in her home located in the 2500 block of S. Walter Reed Drive. A family member made the discovery and immediately summoned police. The last time anyone spoke to Sandra was in the early morning hours on the same day she was murdered.

Shannon Weaver

Shannon Weaver was found murdered in her residence in the 1400 block of S. 28th Street on November 30, 1990. The Medical Examiner determined that the cause of her death was asphyxiation.

Constance Holtzman

Thirty-eight-year-old Constance Holtzman was murdered on November 9, 1988. She was found shot twice in her second-floor apartment bedroom in the 4400 block of S. Four Mile Run Drive. There is no suspect description.

Hugo Long

In the early morning of January 12, 1988, two black males were observed struggling with Hugo Long when his wife went over and tried to help him. The men then tried to steal her purse and stabbed both Long and his wife. Long and his wife retreated into their house and called 911 at 5:55 a.m. Both victims were taken to the hospital, where they were treated for stab wounds. On January 15, 1988, Hugo Long died from his stab wounds.

Bandar Alfisal

On November 2, 1986, Bandar Alfisal was found lying unconscious on his hotel room floor. An autopsy revealed that the cause of death was strangulation. The occupants in the neighboring room heard a struggle at approximately 5 a.m. that morning.

Dorothy Townsend

On January 21, 1975, Dorothy Townsend was found at her place of employment at the 2500 block of Jefferson Davis Highway.

The suspect is described as a black male, 20-25 years old, 5 ft. 8 in. to 5 ft. 10 in. tall, medium-to-light complexion, with a medium-to-slight build. He had no facial hair, except for sideburns to the bottom of his ears. He was wearing a white knit hat, a white shirt-jacket, a brown vinyl hip-length coat and red shoes with white stitching.

James King Forrester

On September 22, 1975, James Forrester was found in his apartment bedroom at the 4400 block of S. 36th St.  The night before, Forrester was seen hanging out with an AWOL (absent without official leave) U.S. Marine, described as a white male of Italian decent that went by the name “Steve.”

Joseph Gwiazdowski

On June 17, 1974, Joseph Gwiadowski had been driving a taxicab for the Diamond Cab Company when he was found shot multiple times in his cab. Investigators believe the suspect might have called for a ride from a telephone booth outside of an establishment called Steve’s Restaurant.

John Raymond Herse

On August 14, 1974, John Herse and his wife were walking back to their hotel from the Orleans House Restaurant in Rosslyn when three men approached them from behind and pushed Mr. Herse to the ground. When Mr. Herse rose from the ground, one of the suspects shot him.
The suspects are described as three black males. The first was in his 20s, 5 ft. 7 in.-5 ft. 8 in. tall with a slim build.  He was wearing a black hat, glasses (regular or lightly colored sunglasses), a dark jacket (possibly leather but not cloth) and a white t-shirt.  The second suspect was also approximately 5 ft. 7 in.-5 ft. 8 in. tall and slender, with a plaid coat. A detailed description is not available for the third suspect.

Eilert (Eilil) Eriksen

Mr. Eilert Eriksen was found near the west entrance of Bluemont Park on December 16, 1974, though this is most likely not the place where Mr. Eriksen was attacked. His death was caused by blunt-force trauma.

James “Jay” Lorenzo Dial, Jr.

On January 15, 1971, James "Jay" Dial was shot while walking along the sidewalk. Injured, he wandered to a neighboring house for help, where he was found on the porch at a residence located at 2110 S. Kenmore Street.

Hugh Howard

Hugh Howard was killed in early May 1971. Mr. Howard was found in his parents’ bedroom in the 1900 block of S. Eads Street, where he had been shot twice. The last time he was heard from or seen alive was May 2.

Marcia Currier

Twenty-three-year-old Marcia Currier was murdered on January 8, 1970. Ms. Currier was found strangled in her bedroom in the 100 block of N. Columbus Street.

Rene Karam

Twenty-five-year-old Rene Karam was last seen alive at approximately 10 p.m. on March 20, 1970. He was found two days later in the 1500 block of Key Boulevard, strangled in his bedroom.

Frank Shipley

On May 5, 1970, Frank Shipley and his wife came home and surprised a burglar who was inside their house in the 5500 block of N. 18th Street. The suspect confronted the victim and demanded access to a coin collection. Mr. Shipley was complying with the suspect's demands when he suffered a heart attack and fell to the floor.  The suspect fled in Mr. Shipley’s 1968 Dodge Dart — the vehicle was later recovered.  

The suspect was described as a white male in his 20s, approximately 5 ft. ,8 in. tall with a slight build and dark-brown or black wavy hair. Detectives believe the suspect has some knowledge of collectable coins since Mr. Shipley's collection was his primary target.